Friday, February 16, 2024

Animations with Voices!

 




Utilizing ElevenLabs opens up some possibilities for voice work that I otherwise haven't been able to achieve on my own and cannot afford to hire voice actresses for. In combination with using Koikatsu and Honey Select, and sound effects and samples from places like Freesound, I could theoretically make some mini-movies with full voice acting and minor animations and cuts in the style of the last video. For the videos above, the first three are using text-to-speech, while the fourth uses speech-to-speech.

That said, it is still a very frustrating and clunky technology to use, and the whole use of AI for creative work is something I do have a lot of mixed feelings on. I had initially posted a big fat opine about it, but considering the resources I've used in the past to make my "transformative work" in the form of sniping images from across the web to write captions for, and using Illusion Studio's games to make machinima comics, well, I'm probably not a very good person to try and be a paragon over the morality of AI tech. That's a much bigger debate best had elsewhere.

I will say that I have no interest in using AI art or writing for my projects. I've tried out a few programs to see what they can do, and sure, it can make some interesting looking stuff sometimes, but I would never consider anything generated by it to be something I can take credit for or pride in making. I can already write for myself, and while I am an extreme amateur at art, drawing and painting are skills I want to build up doing with my own hands, something AI generation cannot replace. Even using 3D programs, there is still manual effort applied in doing the character posing, scene setting, lighting, and "camera" work, so you're doing a lot more than just clicking a few buttons and letting things auto-generate. Likewise, I also do not feel the need to use AI as a crutch for a lack of creativity, and would feel no sense of accomplishment just asking the computer to make up stories and art for me based on some simple prompts.

On the other hand, and I am willing to concede some hypocrisy on my part here, I kinda feel less bad about utilizing text-to-speech technology, at least in the case of something like this, where I'm just toodling around with personal projects that I have no intention of trying to profit from. TTS tech has existed for decades already, and unlike with art and writing, you aren't asking the computer to just make something up for you. You still have to write the whole story or script, you still need to do all the audio editing that follows. The computer is just reading off what you wrote. Moreover, with newer speech-to-speech technology, you're also still doing all the actual voice acting yourself, while the program is basically just putting a filter over your voice to adjust how it sounds. ElevenLabs claims to have sourced their voices from willing volunteers and from contracted and compensated voice actors, so they seem less sketchy than a lot of the AI art companies. So, yeah, fuck it, I'm willing to play around with the tech for little pocket projects like these.

Once again, sorry if the video quality isn't very good, Blogspot seems to really want to compress things. If I ever do actually go through with making a little movie, I will definitely host the video elsewhere, even if I just have to throw it on a Google Drive or something.

(Truthfully, not much is probably going to come of this stuff, so I wouldn't hold your breath. I'll probably burn out on doing a bunch little "proof of concept" clips over the weekend, and then not update again for a year. Still, one never knows when the muse will drop by again.)

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Movement and voices really make a difference. I like how the light goes around the room on the duplicated one. I’ve had a nightmare of a time trying to produce similar in Daz3d. Where animation randomly speeds up and then slows down. I think changing something to linear eventually solved it. Still having problems with foot sliding. Especially with walking and sitting movements. And decent lip syncing I’m not sure is possible without an expensive Rokoko mocap suit.
    I’m waiting for payday to come around to buy the Anilip2 and Pose Recorder lip syncing plugins for Daz3d, much cheaper than a suit. They’ve had mixed reviews and are currently on offer. Sound effects are another issue. Terms and conditions on most sites won’t grant you a licence for anything they would class as NC-17 content (18 rated content whether sexual or violent.) Exclusions which they burry deep in their terms and conditions.
    ElvenLabs is better than most other voice changers. I find the text to speech works better than speech to speech. Especially when converting from one sex to another. It’s a shame it’s a subscription and not a one-off payment.
    I’ve been trying various things to speed up production. Playing with frame rates to see what the minimum I can get away with without making the footage look bad. And rendering backgrounds first and the characters separate, later joining them together in photoshop. My ultimate aim is to create a story driven game with multiple choice / animated cut scenes. Thus, eliminating the ridiculous cost of interactive licences but still having modern Daz3d graphics. Still, that’s probably years away.
    Good to see you posting again. Glad I keep checking back 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed these!

      Guess you're on the animation journey as well! Good luck! Also, seeing a much more realized Sex Mage themed game would be pretty cool!

      Admittedly, I am really using only the most basic stuff for these videos. Illusion's studios have a lot of stuff built in, and its a lot of finnicky model placement to even get a basic handjob lined up right. There's a lot of animations that I just can't get working if I make any attempt to customize positions. Unfortunately, there really aren't much, if any, other animation options to work with, and I don't think you can actually customize anything in those engines. If I really wanted to make a fully-animated movie, I would need to look into other programs. For right now, I'm just looking at more basic mini-movies in the "still image" style, with some animation supplements. I just posted a full vid just now to see what I mean.

      Even still, I may find myself returning to DAZ, despite my frustrations with it. Still, I might just make a couple more videos in Illusion's game studios first just to keep trying things out.

      As for the exclusion terms and conditions... yeah... stuff like that is a consistent obstacle. It's one of the other things that helped tilt my decision to drop out of making this kind of content (my recent postings aside). As a creator, you really are just not welcome almost anywhere, be it hosting platforms or services.

      Delete